What is condition monitoring?
Condition monitoring is the process of continuous measurement and interpretation of suitable and measureable parameter/s in Machinery or Power Systems while it is operating to detect a significant change exceeding a critical rate that could predict potential failures before it actually happens . It helps prevent unexpected downtime, expensive repair costs and hazards to personnel – a form of preventive maintenance. Prior to condition monitoring, most machines uses equipment monitoring technique which utilize detected changes in machine operation as basis of preventive maintenance .
Examples of condition monitoring in industries
- Power measurement trending in electrical switchgear can be accomplished by using voltage probes and high accuracy current clamps to measure the voltage and current during operations. Any irregularity can be detected according to the thresholds setting (Voltage or Current RMS/Peak setting).
- Power quality trending (Harmonics/UTHD, Transient, Flickers, Dips and etc.) at the incoming supply line is to detect abnormality which can cause serious malfunction if left unchecked.
These condition monitoring examples are being used with ‘Big Data Concept’, whereby the huge collection of data point collected thru various situation are used for building and running simulation models to identify and resolve known problems. Advanced automated analytics technology use the collected data points to explore all possible variables until a specific pattern is found that caters to the problem. 
Hioki PW3198 and PQ3100 used for remote monitoring at incoming supply line
Hioki PW3198 and PQ3100 Power Quality Analyzers offer power quality issues detection such as voltage drops, flicker, harmonics, and other related electrical issues. What set these PQAs apart from other PQAs in the market is their Remote Monitoring capability. Industrial players across the South East Asia regions are beginning to embrace the remote monitoring concept as it automates and regulates the data collection process and also increases productivity without having to visit the electrical switchroom
Remote monitoring function set-up
Remote monitoring function can be easily setup within minutes. Usually customer needs to connect a PC to the device to configure the device’s IP address similar to the network. For Hioki’s PQAs, it is made easy as the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway Address are all configurable on the instrument panel itself (Refer to Figure 1). The PQAs are then connected to the network.
Lastly configure the port forwarding on the router (Refer to Figure 2) to enable computer access to the PQAs via the router with a sim card inserted inside. The PQAs can then be accessed using the assigned instrument’s IP address through internet browser (HTTP).
Figure 1 : PW3198 Network Configuration Page.
Figure 2 : Typical router port forwarding page
Advantages of PW3198 and PQ3100
- Fast remote monitoring set-up(configurable on instrument panel itself), setting and recording duration adjustment via built-in HTTP Server function
- Automatic data sending according to user pre-set recording timeline via automated FTP function
- User pre-set power quality event threshold triggering limits for data recording
- Recording of actual date & time of events (anomalies) with information on waveform and duration of events
Hioki PW3198 and PQ3100 are tailored to capture all anomalies in power related issues. The remote monitoring capability offers fast and easy data retrieval. The data obtained offers useful insight for deployment of corrective preventive measures. Both offer flexibility and speed in detecting power supply issues without any downtime.
- J. Neale BJ. Woodley, Condition Monitoring Methods and Economics
- https://scanimetrics.com , Equipment condition monitoring: A history
- ASTM D6595-00: “Standard Test Method for Determination of Wear Metals and Contaminants in Used Lubricating Oils or Used Hydraulic Fluids by Rotating Disc Electrode Atomic Emission Spectrometry” (2011)
- Bernard Marr & Co., What is Big Data? A super simple explanation for everyone